Saturday, April 18, 2009

2 iPhone or not 2 iPhone

My old Nokia has practically one foot in Davy Jone's Locker and so it's time to hunt for another mobile. I was totally into getting an iPhone and thank the heavens I decided to do a bit of research first. The first hurdle was of course getting hold of some reliable information as the most of the articles out there are crowded by Apple Fanboys. I finally happened about a few great articles about the iPhone and why it is not a good choice. Although an iPhone is still in the consideration I'll mostly be ditching if for the following reasons.

Why not ?

  1.  Ridiculously expensive
  2. Locked to particular network
  3. Battery irreplaceable
  4. No video recording
  5. No GPS navigation. The SDK doesn't even allow for 3rd party alternatives.
  6. Inability to use my own ring tones.
  7. Can't use as a modem,
  8. No flash
  9. Can't delete individual calls or messages
  10. No vioce dialling and poor speed dialling
That being said, there are still quite many things which make the iPhone stand out, like..

  1. Cool looks
  2. Incredibly clean and effective user interface
  3. Multi touch implementation, though flawed, still looks and feels very cool pinching your pics to zoom in on them.
  4. Accelerometer ensures optimal use of screen real estate by resizing and reorienting your content as you tilt the phone
  5. High quality multimedia experience.
So I'll be heading to the store in a couple of days and let you know what I get. Keep tuned.