Undoubtedly, we've all been glued to our TV screens and computer monitors for the last couple of days, this time around not for some celebrity gossip or for watching cute cats, but to get a glimpse of what's happening down in Japan. Thousands of lives lost, Millions of Billions worth of property losses, the landscape completely savaged by the waters, impending Nuclear threat.... Really makes one feel humbled before the power of almighty mother earth.
But, for a moment, lets keep all this sorrow aside and take an analytical look at what this means and what the future holds...
As horrifying the scene might be, you can consider it a bit of luck ( no disrespect meant ) that it wasn't some other nation which faced this situation. If that were the case, the death toll would have been exponentially higher. Japan was the best prepared nation to handle this kind of a situation - the extremely strict building laws, which require use of advanced techniques like hydraulic shock dampeners, base isolation pads and their carefully thought out contingency plans, their massive public awareness programs , 40ft tall sea walls- these all insured that the brunt of these disasters was drastically reduced.
But in spite of all these measures, the fact remains that Japan now lies in turmoil... people hurt, homeless a nation in distress. And think back to what happened the last time, the nation faced a crisis of this magnitude -
- They rebuild - undauntedly and with a perseverance which shocked the world.
- People like Akio Morita , Kiichiro Toyoda and countless others revolutionalized the world of manufacturing and made the "Made in Japan" tag, one to be revered and feared
- They not only rebuild their nation, but also their civilization . With social reforms though out the country, they metamorphosed into a truly global village
- The Japanese gave the world a lot a new things from fast bikes, reliable cars to compact computer storage to a whole new manufacturing philosophy(i'm talking of course about Kaizen and all that it signifies)
- No body would have imagined what within 10-15 years, a nation of sword fighters, cherry blossoms and Geisha would completely transform the world of Technology
Rebuild they will - that's granted, and so will they prosper.
Will they be able to root out the extremely strict traditionalism which many believe is holding them back ?
Will they ,once again, tilt the world of technology , which has been, in the last few years , tilting in the favor of the Americans ?
And what other seemingly impossible feats will they be able to achieve ?
Only time will tell. ..
One thing is certain - they'll surprise us beyond our wildest imagination.
And to tell you the truth, that makes me kind of nervous....